Choose Another Recipe
Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 (2-pound) blade cut chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cocktail olives, drained and broken
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- Preheat the oven to 190-200 degrees F.
- Place a wide, heavy skillet or fry pan over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rub both sides of chuck roast with the salt and cumin.
- When the pan is hot (really hot) brown chuck roast on both sides and remove from pan.
- Add just enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan then add the onion and garlic.
- Stir constantly until onion is softened.
- Add the tomato juice, vinegar, olives, and raisins.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the liquid by half.
- Create a pouch with wide, heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Place half the reduced liquid/chunk mixture on the foil, add the roast, and then top with the remaining mixture.
- Close the pouch, and wrap tightly in another complete layer of foil.
- Cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until a fork pushes easily into the meat.
- Remove from oven and rest (still wrapped) for at least 1/2 hour.
- Snip off 1 corner of the foil pouch and drain the liquid into a bowl or measuring cup.
- Add some of the "chunkies" and puree with an immersion blender.
- Slice meat thinly, or pull apart with a fork. Serve with sauce.